Like a number of my posts at the moment, my January Haul has been posted a little later than planned. But at the end of January I acquired a total of 17 books, consisting of 11 physical books and 6 e-books. I appreciate that to a lot of people 17 in a single month seems high, however given my usual habits this is actually not too bad.
My main reason for wanting to reduce my book buying is to try and reduce how much I am spending so I can put more toward savings toward travel – also presently I am bringing in more books per month than I am able to read. For anyone who read my 2019 Reading Goals post, I advised I wanted to read 2 books for every book I bought in 2019.
In January I bought 16 books (1 was won in a giveaway) – therefore I need to read 32 books (time to get on reading those graphic novels). And at the end of the month I read 6 books in total. Therefore I was 26 books off this target (definite oops). Below please find a full list of the books acquired and where from.
e-Books from Amazon Kindle:
(Predominantly bought in the New Year, New Year 99p sale)
- Pestilence by Laura Thalassa,
- From Lukov with Love by Mariana Zapata,
- The Circadian Circle by Satchidananda Panda,
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey,
- Thinner Leaner Stronger by Michael Matthews,
- The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking.
Physical Books – Book Store Purchases:
- Devoted by Jennifer Mathieu,
I actually received an ARC for Devoted from the publisher at YALC in July 2018, which I read and loved last year (4.5/5 stars). As such I wanted to purchase the final copy to support the author.
- The Binding by Bridget Collins,
- King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo,
Both of these were signed editions from Waterstones – and I am a sucker for a special or signed edition of a book.
- Starfish by Akemi Dawn Bowman,
- The Thousandth Floor by Katharine McGee,
- Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman,
I still had a gift card left over from my birthday last July. So one and a half of these books were technically a gift. As I picked them though, I will count them as a purchase.
Physical Books – Subscription Boxes:
(I am not affiliated with any of these boxes, just a regular subscriber and book box sucker).
- The Guilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi,
- The Wicked King by Holly Black,
The January 2019 Owlcrate pick, and the Owlcrate special edition The Wicked King box. Owlcrate is based in Canada.
- Monsters by Sharon Dogar,
The Book Box Club January 2019 pick. Book Box Club is based in the UK (I am a purely books subscriber).
- Evermore by Sara Holland,
- Circles of Shadows by Evelyn Skye,
I won Evermore in an Instagram giveaway from Fairyloot and BKMRK (the publisher). Circles of Shadows is the January 2019 Fairyloot book. Fairyloot is based in the UK.
What books did you pick up in January that you are looking forward to reading?